Saturday, April 24, 2010

Death and the Maiden

I noticed this as a recurring theme, so I'm dedicating an entire post to artists who play with this idea of a manifestation of death with a woman. Contemporary artists will have their own pages to view, so this is essentially just a picture gallery, and if you don't know about Klimt, Schiele, or Munch, you're probably too stupid to be reading this blog.

Maria Lassnig

Der Tod und das Maedchen (Death and the Girl)
1999

Jeff Simpson



Käthe Kollwitz

Death Embracing a Woman



Hans Baldung



Edvard Munch




Egon Schiele

While the above is called Death and the Maiden, I prefer the creepy factor in the painting below (where the hands can be read as Death trying to pull the almost dead (maybe anorexic) woman towards her inevitable doom-- something like that, maybe Sterbak-esque):



Gustav Klimt



Laurie Lipton

Death and the Maiden
2005
This was part of an exhibition that was inspired by a trip to Mexico called Day of the Dead.


And what always happens to me when I think I'm brilliant for noticing a trend, I find someone else has already written about it in detail (although I have much cooler contemporary artists, establishing a context is never a crime), so there's this bitch who writes the Vince's Ear blog:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers