Friday, April 23, 2010

Amy Wilson


"It surprised me to no end" from The Myth of Loneliness series


The work of Amy Wilson reminds me of melancholy adult fairy tale (I agree with the author of the newspaper article below). The autobiographical quality of her work adds an emotional depth twinged with sadness, and it's almost shocking to see the speech bubble text full of largely depressing thoughts (many of the pieces deal with a childhood full of overwhelming depression and loneliness, and there are also commentaries on current events, like the war in Iraq). Her world of drawings is reminiscent of Henry Darger's Vivian Girls, in the idea that these adorable little girls have very real adult emotions and conflicts (although it should be noted that while both Wilson and Darger are gaining some kind of release through their work, Wilson's is meant to be seen in the public sphere and Darger was swimming in a secretive sea of rampant escapism).

As Wilson says on her website, "In my drawings, I like to explore the tension that exists between my interior world and the exterior one. I incorporate personal stories and observations along with commentary about current events (both personal and ones that make it to the news). They depict a "chorus" of young girls, all of whom I see as being an extension of myself and as representations of the many voices I have inside of me; as such I consider my work to be an ongoing exploration of self-portraiture. These girls give voice to my thoughts and are often depicted in scenarios inspired by experiences from my life."

This idea of using these figures to explore self portraiture reminds me of the work of Maria Lassnig, although far more poetic and less abrasive.

Be sure to click on the images in this post for the enlarged versions-- you're missing out if you don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers